Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 63
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Best comic book movie casting pick ever?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Kyle Townsend's Avatar
    Posts
    231
    Check out
    My Ranker List

    Best comic book movie casting pick ever?

    Who Was the Best Comic Book Casting Pick?
    I found this list over the weekend and meant to post it here sooner: Who Was the Best Comic Book Casting Pick? It's really great and a fun one to vote on and debate. I've noticed Humbertolbarra has made several good lists, is he here on the forums? If not I'm gonna write and see if I can get him here.

    Voted. I think Heath Ledger as The Joker is my top choice, but I have to say I cannot imagine Iron Man without Robert Downey Jr and anyone other than Patrick Stewart playing Prof. X in the X-Men movies. I also like the Henry Cavill as Superman casting decision it really worked for me. What do you guys think?

    Last edited by georgeofthejungle; 01-09-2014 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Embedded List. :)

  2. #2
    Senior Member Bootsdad's Avatar
    Posts
    881
    Check out
    My Ranker List
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Townsend View Post
    I found this list over the weekend and meant to post it here sooner: Who Was the Best Comic Book Casting Pick? It's really great and a fun one to vote on and debate. I've noticed Humbertolbarra has made several good lists, is he here on the forums? If not I'm gonna write and see if I can get him here.

    Voted. I think Heath Ledger as The Joker is my top choice, but I have to say I cannot imagine Iron Man without Robert Downey Jr and anyone other than Patrick Stewart playing Prof. X in the X-Men movies. I also like the Henry Cavill as Superman casting decision it really worked for me. What do you guys think?
    Hey Kyle, you are totally right about Humbertolbarra's lists. My picks would have to be Michael Keaton as Batman, Ruffalo as the Hulk, and Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. I also love Bale as Batman, (despite the voice thing), but think Bale might be the best Bruce Wayne yet. Keep in mind, people were dead set against Keaton being cast as the Dark Knight. As for your top pick, yes agreed ledger was a fantastic Joker.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Kyle Townsend's Avatar
    Posts
    231
    Check out
    My Ranker List
    Man I forgot I also liked Ruffalo as Hulk. And yeah I mean there is no one else I'd see playing Wolverine. You've got a point about Keaton. I didn't hate him as Batman though I much prefer Bale in the role overall. Thanks for weighing in. I've reached out to Humbertolbarra so maybe he'll join (I haven't seen him here but he could be)

  4. #4
    Senior Member Bootsdad's Avatar
    Posts
    881
    Check out
    My Ranker List
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Townsend View Post
    I found this list over the weekend and meant to post it here sooner: Who Was the Best Comic Book Casting Pick? It's really great and a fun one to vote on and debate. I've noticed Humbertolbarra has made several good lists, is he here on the forums? If not I'm gonna write and see if I can get him here.

    Voted. I think Heath Ledger as The Joker is my top choice, but I have to say I cannot imagine Iron Man without Robert Downey Jr and anyone other than Patrick Stewart playing Prof. X in the X-Men movies. I also like the Henry Cavill as Superman casting decision it really worked for me. What do you guys think?
    I was also thinking about Patrick Stewart's Professor X. Seems like Stan Lee invented the character for Stewart. Great pick Kyle.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Posts
    126
    Check out
    My Ranker List
    Hi I saw the comment and decided to come here to check this thread out. This is my first time on Ranker forums btw.

    Personally I see this in 3 ways...

    1- Actors that physically seemed like they were born to play a character
    -RDJ as Tony
    -Pattrick Stewart as Professor X
    -Alan Cumming as Nightcrawler
    -JK Simons as J Jameson (This one is my favorite)
    -Henry Cavill as Superman

    NOTE. Hugh Jackman as Wolverine would totally be here if he had the right height. I always thought that the height was something that really was part of Logan.

    2. Actors that do not resemble their character that much physically but that totally nailed the attitude and gestures.
    -Michael Keaton as Batman
    -Aaron Eckhart as Two-Face

    AND 3. Actors that even when they don't look physically or they don't act like the character they totally reinvent the part
    -Heath Ledger as The Joker
    -Nicolas Cage as Big Daddy

    All three types are surprising in their own ways and hope we can get more of these type of characters and less Topher Grace as Venom.

    Oh and thanks for your opinions, I try to put out cool lists but sometimes it is hard because many lists are already done by somebody else.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Kyle Townsend's Avatar
    Posts
    231
    Check out
    My Ranker List
    Hey I'm glad you're here. That's really an interesting approach, especially the ones who don't really look the part but really got the character down. Excellent point, and welcome to the forums. So far I think we'll all agree it's a cool place to hang out and discuss stuff. Your lists are great.

  7. #7
    Member Roger Nackerman's Avatar
    Posts
    99
    Check out
    My Ranker List
    Hey man good you're here I liked JK Simmons as J Jameson too do you know by any chance if he's gonna be in Amazing Spider-Man 2? I remember a few months back there was some speculation he might but I haven't heard or read anything since then about it.

  8. #8
    Senior Member mikeyisawesome1's Avatar
    Posts
    523
    Check out
    My Ranker List
    It's good to see another Ranker on the forum, this is a really good thread, and a great list Humbertolbarra. Anyways I don't know a whole lot about comic books, but some of my favorite castings is Christian Bale as Batman, Heath Ledger as Joker, Tom Hardy as Bane, Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, Patrick Stewart as Professor X, Ian McKellan as Magneto, Chloe Moretz as Hit Girl, Michael Fassbender as Magneto and Ron Perlman as Hellboy.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Bootsdad's Avatar
    Posts
    881
    Check out
    My Ranker List
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyisawesome1 View Post
    It's good to see another Ranker on the forum, this is a really good thread, and a great list Humbertolbarra. Anyways I don't know a whole lot about comic books, but some of my favorite castings is Christian Bale as Batman, Heath Ledger as Joker, Tom Hardy as Bane, Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, Patrick Stewart as Professor X, Ian McKellan as Magneto, Chloe Moretz as Hit Girl, Michael Fassbender as Magneto and Ron Perlman as Hellboy.
    Forgot about Hellboy. NIce one Mikey

  10. #10
    Senior Member Bootsdad's Avatar
    Posts
    881
    Check out
    My Ranker List
    Welcome Humbertolbarra. This is a fun place to exchange ideas and talk about our favorite stuff. You have made some great lists by the way.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Posts
    126
    Check out
    My Ranker List
    Nothing so far. It had been some speculation about that but I'm afraid that the TASM guys will end up replacing him. If they modified the "Uncle Ben's Responsibility speech" they can do anything.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Posts
    126
    Check out
    My Ranker List
    Both Magneto's, Hellboy and HitGirl are quite fine castings too. IMO the thing with Bale is that he is the best actor to ever portray Batman but not the best portrayal of Batman. He works pretty well for the Nolan films and he was a perfect choice, even so he is not entirely Batman/Wayne.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Posts
    126
    Check out
    My Ranker List
    Thanks, I started with comicbook lists. Its interesting to see what people think on some of these castings.

  14. #14
    Senior Member JoeyJoeJoeJr's Avatar
    Posts
    119
    Check out
    My Ranker List
    man i loved hellboy too thats a good one humberto nice to have you around i agree. glad to see you liked cavill as superman i thought it really worked but i gotta ask the obvious: Affleck as Batman? Curious what you think

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Posts
    126
    Check out
    My Ranker List
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyJoeJoeJr View Post
    man i loved hellboy too thats a good one humberto nice to have you around i agree. glad to see you liked cavill as superman i thought it really worked but i gotta ask the obvious: Affleck as Batman? Curious what you think
    Well, First: Cavill.

    He is perfect, physically he is the living image Superman and he actually manages to hide his accent very nicely. Some people liked MOS, some didn't but Cavill was not what people complain there. I personally thought that MOS was great but it could had been better. Either way we have a Superman for a long run, Matt Boomer also looked the part but I prefer Cavill.

    Ben,

    Ooops, What can I say there? I think that my first reaction was very similar to many of you "This is a joke, right?". Well the point is that I want this to be a good movie and I had been thinking really hard about why they choose him, Nolan has made many mistakes before but never in casting and he is definitely helping Zack with the casting. Now I actually believe that Ben Affleck could be better than many names that were thrown around but he really needs to work on it, here are some good points:

    1. He can act. It is funny how some people that were praising him months ago for Argo are now throwing Gigli or Daredevil around, Ben is an amazing actor if he understands the character.

    2. He is Bruce Wayne. You know, that reaction that we are getting with him is exactly what Wayne is supposed to be: a playboy and a powerful/rich guy for some people, arrogant for others. I think he could really play the cocky millionaire quite well.

    3.He has the body. There is a scene in the Town where he proves that he can bulk up.

    Some other people had mentioned other good points like he has very good expressions (check his last scene in Good Will Hunting) or even that he can give a help to Zack and co with the script ( he is an amazing director).

    In conclusion, my fav choice was Fassbender but I think Ben can pull it if he really works for it, even if he doesn't physically look like the Batman we all imagine. I am hopeful and I want to see before judging.

  16. #16
    Senior Member JoeyJoeJoeJr's Avatar
    Posts
    119
    Check out
    My Ranker List
    real good points about affleck i forgot how he beefed up in the town thats true and your right nolan doesnt ever mess up on casting thanks man!

  17. #17
    Senior Member Bootsdad's Avatar
    Posts
    881
    Check out
    My Ranker List
    Quote Originally Posted by HumbertoIbarra View Post
    Well, First: Cavill.

    He is perfect, physically he is the living image Superman and he actually manages to hide his accent very nicely. Some people liked MOS, some didn't but Cavill was not what people complain there. I personally thought that MOS was great but it could had been better. Either way we have a Superman for a long run, Matt Boomer also looked the part but I prefer Cavill.

    Ben,

    Ooops, What can I say there? I think that my first reaction was very similar to many of you "This is a joke, right?". Well the point is that I want this to be a good movie and I had been thinking really hard about why they choose him, Nolan has made many mistakes before but never in casting and he is definitely helping Zack with the casting. Now I actually believe that Ben Affleck could be better than many names that were thrown around but he really needs to work on it, here are some good points:

    1. He can act. It is funny how some people that were praising him months ago for Argo are now throwing Gigli or Daredevil around, Ben is an amazing actor if he understands the character.

    2. He is Bruce Wayne. You know, that reaction that we are getting with him is exactly what Wayne is supposed to be: a playboy and a powerful/rich guy for some people, arrogant for others. I think he could really play the cocky millionaire quite well.

    3.He has the body. There is a scene in the Town where he proves that he can bulk up.

    Some other people had mentioned other good points like he has very good expressions (check his last scene in Good Will Hunting) or even that he can give a help to Zack and co with the script ( he is an amazing director).

    In conclusion, my fav choice was Fassbender but I think Ben can pull it if he really works for it, even if he doesn't physically look like the Batman we all imagine. I am hopeful and I want to see before judging.
    Great points about Affleck. Look Daredevil wasn't his fault. You can thank the good people at Fox for hiring the director of Simon Birch for that. He'll be fine. People didn't want Keaton or Ledger either. Those worked out. Affleck won't want to screw this up. He will be all in, and he'll nail it.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Posts
    126
    Check out
    My Ranker List
    Fox need to get better people in charge.

    List of movies that they messed:

    Fantastic Four 2
    Daredevil
    Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li
    Dragon Ball: Evolution

    List of movies that could had been a lot better:

    Fantastic Four
    Xmen 3
    Percy Jackson 1
    Percy Jackson 2
    Eragon

    Besides you could also blame that studio for giving life to horrible spoofs like "Date Movie", "Epic Movie" or "Vampires Suck"

  19. #19
    Senior Member JoeyJoeJoeJr's Avatar
    Posts
    119
    Check out
    My Ranker List
    oh yeah so many of those humberto are awful and i was really disappointed in X-Men 3 myself. seeing them all there listed though yuk. they've sure messed up bad!

  20. #20
    Senior Member LaurieM's Avatar
    Posts
    225
    Check out
    My Ranker List
    Humberto, you are amazing. Those are excellent points about Ben Affleck and I hadn't considered any of that before now. Well said and welcome to the forums!

    I also completely agree with you on the Percy Jackson movies. I have not seen the second one yet - but I was so very disappointed in the first. Is the second one even worse? With such a great story, you would think they'd be able to turn out a fantastic film based on Percy.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

  1. 09-09-2013, 10:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •