Thread: Joh-nny Foot-ball

Check out
    My Ranker List

Joh-nny Foot-ball

The Dumbest Professional Athletes
    Time to weigh in on the Johnny Manziel saga, folks. Are the allegations that he signed autographs for money true? Maybe more importantly, will the NCAA convict him so to speak of violations and punish him?

Personally, even without a penalty from the NCAA, I think he belongs squarely on the dumbest athletes list. He has the world at his fingertips, the Heisman, a wealthy family behind him, the spotlight, potential to be a top draft pick in the greatest sports league in the country. Yet he does not realize what he has and acts out, gets caught drinking, makes disrespectful statements, all things that can and have jeopardized his reputation and career. It's horrible to see someone with so much that he could do in life, not appreciate how fortunate he is.

Last edited by georgeofthejungle; 01-07-2014 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Embedded List. :)

Check out
    My Ranker List
    As sad as this is, it's all too common these days. Aaron Hernandez would be another great example. Both young kids with big possibilities who got swept up in the ego of being a top athlete.

Judging by Manziel's other bad decisions, it wouldn't surprise me if he did sell his autographs. Not sure if the NCAA can prove it though.

Check out
    My Ranker List
    The NCAA rules are what are sad. These kids play football and earn the league and the schools, among many others, millions, if not billions, annually and have so many rules against them earning money. They can't even get regular jobs, right? Let the kids earn money and this wouldn't be a problem.

Check out
    My Ranker List
    u realize giving him this attention only makes the problem worse right?

Check out
    My Ranker List
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Roderick View Post
    The NCAA rules are what are sad. These kids play football and earn the league and the schools, among many others, millions, if not billions, annually and have so many rules against them earning money. They can't even get regular jobs, right? Let the kids earn money and this wouldn't be a problem.
    I agree with you Arthur but I'm not sure this will ever happen the NCAA are crooks at least this week they stopped selling jerseys and stuff

Check out
    My Ranker List
    Bumping this to predict that Johnny Football will end up on another list, Biggest NFL Draft Busts

I just read the article about him in the ESPN Magazine and I have to say, I totally believe the accusations that he took cash for autographs. He and his dad come off as so bitter about NCAA rules prohibiting them from profiting from his stardom. No idea when it was written in comparison to when the autograph thing broke but if Manziel is acting so arrogantly after this little bit of success, I cannot see him doing well in the NFL if that offer comes knocking hence my bold prediction that he will be another sad NFL Draft bust. Thoughts?

Check out
    My Ranker List
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Cerrano View Post
    Bumping this to predict that Johnny Football will end up on another list, Biggest NFL Draft Busts

I just read the article about him in the ESPN Magazine and I have to say, I totally believe the accusations that he took cash for autographs. He and his dad come off as so bitter about NCAA rules prohibiting them from profiting from his stardom. No idea when it was written in comparison to when the autograph thing broke but if Manziel is acting so arrogantly after this little bit of success, I cannot see him doing well in the NFL if that offer comes knocking hence my bold prediction that he will be another sad NFL Draft bust. Thoughts?
    I was waiting for someone to chime in about that feature article. The arrogance of the Manziel family fits with the claims, I will agree to that. It may be too early to say he will be a draft bust though. Perhaps this is foolishly optimistic, but maybe having a big scandal is what is needed to kick Johnny into gear as an adult. If he could learn from this mistake and grow from it, he could have a great NFL career. He has the talent to do so and I hope his antics don't ruin that. It's so much better to see someone rise after falling than snowball out of control into irrelevancy.

Check out
    My Ranker List
    Bumping this following the news of his suspension...

Is anyone else absolutely floored at the leniency of the punishment? Half a game?!? Are you kidding me?

Check out
    My Ranker List
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie Marie View Post

Is anyone else absolutely floored at the leniency of the punishment? Half a game?!? Are you kidding me?
    Totally agree with you Angie, the half a game punishment is crazy, I can't believe he got off that easy.

Check out
    My Ranker List

The NCAA is a joke! As much as it burns my fingers to type anything in support of The Ohio State University, they should be furious right now for a much harsher punishment for similar violations. Yes, Ohio State's thing was on a bigger scale, but it's hard to say one kid who was suspended for getting tattoos improperly gets five games and another kid who gets tens of thousands of dollars for autographs gets a half. Ridiculous!

Check out
    My Ranker List
    came here for this, i don't really understand why it was a half game but more that what exactly was he suspended for?? if he did something wrong it should have been for the whole season, if he didn't do anything, then no suspension. Some1 explain?

Check out
    My Ranker List
    Yeah this is just ridiculous. Half a game...against Rice?! (No disrespect to Rice fans but come on people). Given that I have a huge interest in the outcome of A&M's second game (ahem), part of me is glad Johnny M is playing. I want to beat him like a drum, fair and square

But yes, the NCAA situation is really nuts. It's almost like they didn't want to find anything.

Check out
    My Ranker List
    Totally agree with you Laurie, I mean can you eve call this a suspension, I mean if you think back to when you were in school, whoever heard of getting suspended for a couple of periods, no if you got dealt a suspension, you were going to be out of school for a few days. Anyways I'm pretty ticked about the whole thing, I'm hoping you guys stomp the fool out of A&M in a couple of weeks, after that game you guys will be well on your way to your third consecutive championship.

Check out
    My Ranker List
    Johnny Football is a complete turd. After seeing his cocky ridiculous NO class behavior in the A&M game (I mean come on taunting RICE?) I'm now on board with Laurie's Alabama team. I hope they kick the daylights out of the Aggies now!

Check out
    My Ranker List
    As sad as this is, it's all too common these days. Aaron Hernandez would be another great example. Both young kids with big possibilities who got swept up in the ego of being a top athlete.

Judging by Manziel's other bad decisions, it wouldn't surprise me if he did sell his autographs. Not sure if the NCAA can prove it though.

I agree with you that his past decision kind of points to the fact that it is extremely likely he was once again guilty here. Although what the NCAA and we believe is one thing and what they were able to prove was another so he got away with it.

Check out
    My Ranker List
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatetheplayer View Post
    came here for this, i don't really understand why it was a half game but more that what exactly was he suspended for?? if he did something wrong it should have been for the whole season, if he didn't do anything, then no suspension. Some1 explain?

Exactly ! Either he did it and you can prove it or her didn't or you were unable to prove it. I really can't see any grey area here and this kind of suspension is a complete joke and seemed like the NCAA just wanted to act as if they were doing something.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 08-22-2013, 09:37 AM